History of VFW Post 4051
The Pikes Peak Post
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Pike's Peak Post 4051 was certified and chartered on May 28, 1945. Seventy-Eight (78) veterans were recruited and recognized as Charter members. At this time, interest in veterans helping veterans and their families was at a high, and the membership steadily grew. From the beginning, Post 4051 was the local service organization primarily responsible for handling the majority of military funerals and furnished a Color Guard for all community functions and parades.
The meeting room was originally located above Wood's Drugs on the Southeast corner of Tejon and Chucharras. Elected as the first officers were, Bill Williams, Commander, Bill Page, Quartermaster, and Bill Crawford, Chaplain. A year later, the Post moved to Pike's Peak and Wahsatch. Property was purchased at 430 East Pike's Peak Avenue and the current post building was constructed. Members volunteered many hours and materials to assist in building the post home saving thousands in construction dollars.
In November 1956, dedication ceremonies for the new building were held. Final payment for the building and property was accomplished, and a mortgage burning ceremony was held on September 11, 1965. An addition to the original building was constructed and completed in November 1976.
By 1995, Post 4051 had a membership of over 1200, and, at that time, it was the largest VFW Post within the State of Colorado. Our membership has dropped to approximately 600 over the years. While we still have the largest facility in the state, we are now second in membership. The Auxiliary supports the Post Home and established the honor of being the largest VFW Auxiliary within the State of Colorado with a membership of approximately 300.